Jamaica one up in football series

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

Winners' Defence Checks Trinidad

JAMAICA ..... 2 (Hill, Alexander)
TRINIDAD ..... 0

A ROCK-LIKE defence and better use of the opportunities afforded them enabled Jamaica to defeat Trinidad 2-0 in the opening match of the three-game series between the two countries, at Sabina Park last night. A crowd estimated at 6,000 watched the game.

Except for a short period in the first half and the last 10 minutes of the second half, Jamaica dominated the match. Right back Walter Chevannes and centre-half Ken Hamilton, playing the third-back game, were towers of strength in the defence and a large share of the credit for the home team's victory is due to them.

Schoolboy Anthony Hill at inside right, stole the limelight from his more experienced teammates in the first half, and played steadily throughout, to finish with Hamilton, Chevannes, left half Frankie Lewis and Trinidad's inside right, Son Baptiste, top performers.

Although losers, Trinidad fought well and courageously, but their forwards just could not break through the home side's defence to take close shots at goal.

Play started with Jamaica seeking an early goal. From a good corner by Clovis McLean, right half Karl Largie headed to goal, Trinidad right back Arthur Belgrave sending the ball back. Inside left Franz Alexander kicked right away from outside right Noel Tappin retrieve but the low shot was held safely by goalkeeper Rawlins Baptiste.

After 10 minutes, Jamaica lost control of play and the visitors tried two shots which did not bother Selvyn Murphy in goal.


Trinidad's "reprieve" lasted for only four minutes. Jamaica soon became the aggressors again, and their first attack at this stage had centre forward Elvin Schloss caught off-side just outside the area in a line with mid-goal.

Hill stopped the low kickoff from 30 yards out, beat two defenders, shifted the ball to his right foot and sent a hard shot past the diving Baptiste towards the right upright.

The homesters pressed their advantage, and from the second successive corner on the right
wing in the same minute, Schloss tried a back flip, Largie took a left-foot shot and Alexander shot with the right—all to no avail as the desperate Trinidad defence sent the ball back each time. The Trinidadians withstood several attacks in this manner in the last 15 minutes of the first half.

Seconds before half time, Schloss missed a gift when, McLean's corner kick had the ball dropping, almost on his left boot.

Skipper Alexander made the score 2-0 for Jamaica in the 45th minute — five minutes after the resumption — when he converted from a pass by Hill.

Trinidad fought back, got possession of the ball, and outside left Dennis Thomas took a good shot that went just a foot outside the right upright.


Again on the attack, the visitors came closer to a goal than at any other time during the game when Murphy was forced to dive to the right to deflect outside right Val Turton's shot. Inside left Clive Pantin, rushing in, could not reach the ball in time to gain the advantage.

Trinidad continued the pressure in the five minutes before the close, but Hamilton and Chevannes broke up the movements that would have seen McVorran, star of Saturday's match against St. George's, or Pantin trying for a goal.

Players of both teams were presented to the Chief Minister of Jamaica, the Hon. Norman Manley, before the start.

The match was handled by Johnny Wongsam, assisted on the lines by Gilmore Delgado and Major Robinson.