Jamaica Play Trinidad Tonight

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

Intercolonial Football Series Starts At Sabina Park
5 New Caps On Home XI
Injuries hit visitors

JAMAICA and Trinidad renew their soccer rivalry, as the sixth intercolonial tournament between the two Colonies starts at Sabina Park tonight at 8 o'clock. The match is the first of a three-game series.

Five newcomers to intercolonial soccer are included in Jamaica's team, while Trinidad are expected to use much the same team which won 4-1 against school champions, St. George's College, on Saturday night last.

The side that represented the visitors on Saturday night is their strongest eleven. However,
they came out of the match, in which the schoolboys put up a courageous display, with a couple of injured players.

Up to late yesterday it was not certain whether their captain and right half, Delbert Charleau, and left-half, Doyle Griffith, would be able to take the field for tonight's match.

Charleau was kicked on his right instep, whilst Griffith got a blow below his left knee. If these two cannot play, the Trinidadians' half line would certainly not be as strong as in their first appearance.

One is yet to know just how strong the Jamaica side is. With only one week in which to work together, the players have had to put in a lot of practice so as to achieve at least some of the coordination vital to team strength.


Both teams use the same formation, the "W". The visitors' plan was effective for a time on Saturday night, but under pressure changed to a more or less open game. This could be dangerous against fast-moving forwards such as hard-shooting outside right Noel Tappin and clever inside left, Franz Alexander.

Goal-getting for the home side will rest mainly with Alexander, captain of the team, Tappin and centre forward, Elvin Schloss. Schloss is representing Jamaica for the first time. Anthony Hill, another newcomer at inside right, is expected to act as a feeder for Tappin and Schloss.

Hill usually fills this position on the St. George's College team, and did fairly well on Saturday
night, although he should dispatch the ball more accurately.


The other three players earning their first Jamaica caps are outside left Clovis McLean, left half Frankie Lewis and left back Bill Gentles.

Trinidad will depend for goals on centre forward, John McVorran, inside left, Clive Pantin, and inside right, Son Baptiste. McVorran and Pantin shared their team's goals in the match against St. George's. Norris Young and Frank Gamaldo may be brought in to replace Trinidad's injured players.

Members of the Trinidad and Jamaica teams will be presented to the Hon. Norman Manley, Chief Minister of Jamaica, before the game, and the Police Band will play prior to the start and during the interval.

Referee for the match is Johnny Wongsam, assisted by linesmen Robinson and Segre.


Selvyn Murphy (goal), Walter Chevannes (right back), Bill Gentles (left back), Karl Largie (right half), Ken Hamilton (centre half), Frankie Lewis (left half), Noel Tappin (outside right), Anthony Hill (inside right), Elvin Schloss (centre forward), Franz Alexander, capt, (inside left), Clovis McLean (outside left).

Rawlins Baptiste (goal), Dennis Turton (right back), Arthur Belgrave (left bark), Delbert Charleau or Noel Daniel (right half), Daniel or Frank Gamaldo (centre half), Doyle Griffith or Norris Young (left half), Val Turton (outside right), Son Baptiste (inside right), John McVorran (centre forward), Clive Pantin (inside left), Dennis Thomas (outside left).


JAMAICA and Trinidad have met on five previous occasions at soccer, four times in official series.

The first series was in 1935 when Trinidad came to Jamaica and won the three matches played, 2-1, 1-0 and 2-1.

The second series in February 1947, was also played here, and ended in a draw. The first game was drawn nil-all. Jamaica won the second match 2-1 and the third 1-0, and Trinidad won the fourth 2-1 and the fifth 6-0.

Jamaica's only visit to Trinidad was in November 1947, when the tourists were beaten 6-0 and 1-0.

In May 1949, Trinidad sent up another team. Jamaica won the first two fixtures 3-1 and 2-1, and lost the third 1-2.

Passing through on their way to England in August 1953, the Trinidadians played two matches against Jamaica. The first game went to the homesters 3-2, and Trinidad won the second 1-0.