St. Benedict's win tourney

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

Vere Technical Draw Return Match

ST. BENEDICT'S schoolboys football team of Trinidad was held to a nil-all draw by Vere Technical High School at Vere Technical school grounds at Hayes, Clarendon, yesterday and so secured the first hold on the Antillean Trophy on a 4-1 goal aggregate.

After the match Laurence Rondon, captain of the St. Benedict's team, received the trophy, donated by Antillean Import-Export Comnany from the Prime Minister, the Hon. Hugh Shearer, to whom both teams were introduced before he start of the game.

As referee Carl Stewart signalled the start — with the Trinidadians kicking off — Vere moved into the attack and forced a corner in the first minute but Corsel Blair at centre forward in trying to get the ball into the net handled it.

Vere kept up the pressure and three minutes later forced another corner. Then in the tenth minute of play went even further when outside left Bob Campbell found the nets but not before the referee had blown for half side.

Missed chances

Blair, continued missing chances after this.

St. Benedict's made their first serious assault on the Vere's goal and forced their first corner after 13 minutes of the game.

Eleven minutes later Vere's inside right and captain Allan Cole saw his free kick from 25 yards out pushed over the bar by goalkeeper Dave Reuben. It was attack after attack by the Vere boys from then on with the St. Benedict's defence headed by skipper and centre half Laurence Rondon, who was the star of the afternoon's play, holding out.

It was all Vere for the remainder of the half as the St. Benedict's boys resorted to rough play.

Vere made some drastic changes on the resumption by bringing in Neville Scott at Les Brown's position at left-back and playing Brown at outside left for Rob Campbell, who had a bad first half.

The Trinidad schoolboys champions also made one change in leaving off outside-left Leo Brewster Jnr for the trying Trevor Edmund.

For the first five minutes of this half the Trinidadians looked the team which beat Vere in their first encounter, as they bombarded the Vere goal front.

Rough play

St. Benedict's inside-left Herbert Lennard was cautioned by the referee for continued rough play during this period.

Vere's outside-right Arthur Ennis got a sitter when with only the keeper to beat, he kicked high and wide of the goal.

A real movement by Cole and Ennis later ended with triumph for Reuben, as he tipped the powerhouse from Cole over the crossbar.

There were more changes on the Vere frontline as skipper Cole moved out to the right-wing and Brown was brought into his position, while Ennis was placed at outside-left.

Reuben brought off yet another spectacular save when after moving to his right dived full length to his left to hold a scorching left-footer from Cole.

St. Benedict's will meet Santos in the final match of their tour tomorrow afternoon at 4.30 o'clock at the National Stadium.

The Prime MinisterThe Prime Minister: the Hon. Hugh Shearer (right), presents the Antillean Trophy, donated by Antillean Import-Export Company, to the captain of the St. Benedict's schoolboys football team of Trinidad after yesterday's match. St. Benedict's won the two match series on a 4-1 goal aggregate. On the Prime Minister's right is Mr. Gene McDonald, co-managing director of Antillean Import-Export Company, sponsors of the tour and second from left is Mr. Ben Francis, Vere Technical's headmaster.