Cave sparks St. Benedict's to 4-1 victory

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

FOUR GOALS by St. Benedict's College's centre forward, Wilfred Cave, sparked his team to a 4-1 win over their hosts, Vere Technical High School, in the first of a two-match series for the Antillean Trophy at the National Stadium yesterday afternoon.

The match was watched by a small crowd. The last half was played in pouring rain, making the field slippery.

Immediately referee Carl Belnavis signalled the start the Vere boys went on the attack and swarmed all over their opponents. However, they did not get in many shots to goal and it was not until thirteen minutes after the start that Arthur Ennis, playing at outside right really brought life into the game when he completely beat the St. Benedict's goalkeeper, Dave Reuben, with a neat shot only to see the ball hit the crossbar and rebound into play.

First goal

After this the Trinidadians gradually got into their own and in the 17th minute of play Dick Furlonge, their outside right, like Cave a Trinidad cap, grabbed a stray ball and found the back of the net after the referee had blown for offside. This inspired the Trinidadians, who continued pressing, and in the 28th minute they forced their first corner.

Some inaccurate shooting robbed both teams of scoring during this period and it was not until after 34 minutes that the winners got their first goal. Captain and centre half and another Trinidad representative, Laurence London's corner from the right side dropped at the foot of the opportunist Cave for him to register his first goal.

Vere made one change at this time when they brought on the hard tackling Bob Wright
for Neville Thompson at right half. Just before the half ended the rains started.

Allan Cole, who did not have a good first half, did not come out for the second half as he is recovering from an attack of Chicken Pox and the rain was now pouring heavily.

Bob Coombs came out in place of Cole and Vere brought up defenceman Les Brown to inside left and Coombs into defence.


The condition of the field worsened as the second half progressed, and it became a waterlogged surface making ball control hard. With their experience the Trinidadians were able to control the wet ball better.

Vere started out the aggressors again and Les Brown had the crowd on their feet with a hard shot to goal which custodian Dave Reuben did well to save, but Vere kept up the pressure and was duly awarded when centre forward Corsel Blair was brought down inside their opponents' penalty area and referee Belnavis awarded the spot kick.

Les Brown kicked wide at the first attempt, but the referee ordered a re-take as the St. Benedict's custodian moved early. Blair converted the penalty on the second attempt,
with a shot to the far corner.

This did not affect the winners and five minutes later Cave hit a right footer past Vere's keeper Sammy Lawrence, who had a good game, to make it 2—1.

Player hurt

Furlonge had to be lifted off the field a little after the goal was scored with an injured

The Trinidadians kept up the pressure from here on and never looked like losing their one goal lead and two minutes from the end. Cave completed the hat-trick, when he pounced upon a rebound from Vere's custodian and tapped the ball into the nets.

One minute later Cave again netted from a goal-keeping error, when Lawrence misunderstood a movement and Cave just pushed the ball into the back of the net to complete his tally.

Before the start of the match the teams, with the referee and the linesmen, Audley Brandt and John Richards, were presented to Mr. Cecil Wiltshire of the Trinidad High Commissioner's Office. He deputized for the High Commissioner, Mr. Eric Murray, who
is off the island.

On The AttackOn The Attack: Vere Technical's centre forward Corsel Blair, beats St. Benedict's right back Michael Hackett as he slide-tackles. Blair scored Vere's lone goal from a penalty as the Trinidadians won 4-1 at the Stadium yesterday.