Haiti move up to the top

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

Trinidad whipped 4-2 in CONCACAF eliminations

BRILLIANT HAITI joined Jamaica at the top of the tables in the elimination round of the CONCACAF football tournament last night by way of a 4-2 victory over Trinidad at the National Stadium.

Trinidad never looked anything like the sharp snappy team which took the field for their first match. Joseph and St. Vil (two each) netted for Haiti and Corneal and Archibald for the losers.

Haiti flew into a two-minute lead and for the rest of the half they produced perhaps the most attractive football seen in the tournament so far.

Pierre Joseph scored the goal after a fast movement. He hit the ball low and hard just inside the post and well out of Mouttet's reach.

Haiti were really impressive. They moved the ball quickly, altering the course of their attacks suddenly and catching a big sluggish Trinidad defence flat-footed.

Guy St. Vil, their best forward in the side's 1-1 draw with Cuba on Thursday, was again the man who caught the eye. He fired in four powerful shots in the first ten minutes, but Mouttet had them all well covered.

Left winger Mettlus led Trinidadian full back Murren a merry dance but was inclined to get over confident and tried to beat too many men too often.

Twice he waltzed cockily into the penalty box only to be robbed of the ball as he prepared to shoot.

Once again the springboard for the Haitian attacks were the cultured Phillipe Vorbe and Obas Joseph. Joseph also found time to come into the front line and in the 30th minute unleashed a drive from 30 yards which the acrobatic Mouttet turned spectacularly round the post.

Little was seen of Trinidadian dangermen Warren Archibald and Everald Cummings, the schoolboy wingers who shone against Netherland Antilles on Friday.

Archibald and inside-forward Alvin Corneal wandered all over the place but the Trinidad backs were too busy dealing with St. Vil and Co. to get their attack moving.

The tall Haitian defence played a tigher game than last week.


Completely against the run of play, Trinidad got a 37th minute equalizer. A long, high ball floated into the corner of the Haitian penalty. Cummings and Haiti's Wilfred Soray both put their feet up high for it.

But Cummings was struck by Soray's boot and Jamaica referee Ralph Bardowell had to award a penalty for dangerous play, harsh, as the decision seemed, Corneal hammered the kick in.

But Haiti did not take very long to go ahead again. In the seventh minute of the second half Pierre Joseph lobbed a 30-yard freekick over a wall of Trinidadian defenders and St. Vil raced in to head the ball home from 6-yards.

St. Vil's second

Haiti were at full steam now and St. Vil's bag of tricks Trinidad just couldn't cope with. He got his second goal a minute later Pierre Joseph was again the architect.

After a right-wing run he fired in a hopeful shot which St. Vil latched onto and diverted into the net from close in.

Then little by little Trinidad started getting into the game--partly because Haiti, three to one up, were coasting a bit and had called more men back in defence.

Trinidad's second goal came from out of the blue and Haitian keeper Manoyrine was much to blame. Cummings aimed a pass at Archibald and Manoyrine rushed out of his goal to cut it off. He failed and Archibald turned the ball into a wide open net.

But the goal acted as a tonic for Haiti for, the last 25 minutes they delighted the crowd with fast, flowing football.

Vorbe or Pierre Joseph were, involved in the build-up of nearly every move, changing the direction of the attack with an abruptness which constantly baffled Trinidad.

St. Vil was the spearhead. As the match wore on he came more and more into his own, with flashy ball juggling and body swerve.

The brave Mouttet stood up to the barrage calmly. Twice he threw himself forward to clutch dangerous crosses from Metilun, he flew across the goal to pip a Vorbe powerhouse and in the next minute stomached a sizzler from St. Vil.

But even Mouttet couldn't stop Haiti's fourth goal — he probably didn't even spot the ball until it was in the back of the net. Pierre Joseph crowned a great game when he belted it just inside the left post from 25 yards. A wonderful goal reminiscent of Art Welch's second on Saturday night.

Joseph was so excited, he raced to the touchline where he was plastered in kisses by the Haitian reserves.

Trinidad, who never quite got going and played without method did have one more chance when Archibald slammed a low one which the hesitant Manoyrine only just stopped. The Trinidadians turned to the referee claiming the ball had crossed the line.

[photo caption]
A TRINIDADIAN defender leaps high to divert a ball from his dander area, another backs up while Haiti's inside right Guy St. Vil waits anxiously to collect the ball in the match at the National Stadium last night.