Good 3-2 win by Trinidadians

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

First defeat for KC since 1964

Trinidad All-Colleges ..... 3 (Joseph, Sadaphal, Cummings)
Kingston College ..... 2 (Harris)

ISLAND SCHOOLBOY football champions, Kingston College, had their first taste of defeat since the visit of the Brazilian Youth team in December, 1964 last Saturday night, when they were edged 3-2 by the Combined Trinidad schoolboys team at the National Stadium in the second and feature same of a double-header.

The 5,000 odd spectators who turned up for the encounter, saw KC launching the early attacks and looked dangerous, especially on the right side. But the Trinidad squad which found its true form last Thursday, reverted the attacks to the KC goal.

KC should have scored as early as in the tenth minute, as three of their forwards got away scot-free in the Trinidad half and faced with goalkeeper Brendan Bain, inside left Lloyd McLean anxiously over-dribbled for Bain to intercept. However, KC did score in the early part of the half, when centre forward, Trevor "Jumpy" Harris just managed to get his body to the ball beating the positioned Bain after a Trinidad defender's clearance rebounded from a KC forward and headed goalward.

Trinidad were using a different approach to the game unlike their two previous games which they both lost 1-2, in that the forwards stayed closer to the defence. But this did not seem to worry the KC squad.

With some ten minutes of play remaining in the first half Harris after taking a beauty of a right footer, hurt his knee and had to leave the field for treatment.

The game got a bit rough, as the Trinidadians determined to win tried almost everything to score. Newcomer inside right, Joey Alvaranga just did not manage to fit in on the forward line. Half time was taken with the score 1-0.

Trinidad resumed the second half dominating play and taking some good shots, but custodian Leslie Lucas handled them well or the defence broke them up.

Inside right, Everald Cummings again thrilled the crowd with his shooting from various angles. Centre forward Kenny Josephs got the equalizer for Trinidad in the fifth minute after a shot from a Trinidad forward flew out of Lucas' hand for Joseph to ram home. But KC did not really like the closeness of the Trinidadians and Oxford really showed how good a player he is particularly in this frame. Moving from the right wing to the left, he bored through the Trinidad defence and squared a pass from the goal line in the centre for Harris to put in.

It was then that the KC shooting battery came to life and Bain certainly had a lot of work to do. Carey Coke came on for Alvaranga in the 25th minute.

Trinidad again equalized in the 26th minute via outside left Ellis Sadaphal from a melee. The KC players protested that the ball was handled, but referee Audley Brandt rejected their protests.

Lucas then had the spectators out of their seats, as after kicking out the ball, a Trinidad forward just by the penalty spot, lashed a hard right footer which had goal marked all over it but with a catlike spring, Lucas clutched the ball to mid air.

But with Trinidad going all out, there was bound to be another goal and Cummings scored the goal of the match, when after beating a defender on the right wing, he sent home a powerful right footer which found the right top corner of the goal. It was only a matter of seconds before Brandt signalled the end.

Trinidad players leave

FOURTEEN OF the Trinidadian schoolboys who were in Jamaica to play football against Kingston College and Jamaica under nineteens left for home yesterday.

They were accompanied by Dom Basil Matthews who said at the Palisadoes Airport that they were grateful for the wonderful hospitality that had been shown them in Jamaica, particularly by the Kingston College Old Boys and representatives of the Jamaica Mutual Life Assurance Society who sponsored the trip.

The remaining 2 boys are due to leave tomorrow.