KC Clip Trinidadians 2-1

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

12,000 Football Fans Watch Keenly Contested Match
Visiting All-Schools team ouplayed in opener

K.C. ...... 2 (Harris)
Trinidad All-Colleges ..... 1 (Joseph)

KINGSTON COLLEGE, the schoolboy football champions of Jamaica, kept their unbeaten record unblemished when they outplayed the Trinidad All-Colleges team 2-1 at the National Stadium last night.

An estimated 12,000 spectators, 6,000 of them jammed into the grandstand saw the Jamaicans hold the whip hand throughout the majority of the 70-minute in what was a good match.

Policemen posted strategically around the ground had a quiet night as the fans never gave any trouble in what was the first night of football since the Kingston and Football Association
suspended football in the Corporate Area after an attack on referee Johnny Wongsam by an irate spectator. Wongsam who was hospitalised for a short time was at last night's match.

Tomorrow night the second match of the tour, sponsored by the Jamaica Mutual Life Assurance Society, will be played at the same venue.

Trinidad was first into the attack with "wonderboy" Everald Cummings, initiating the movement but the Manning Cup arid Olivier Shield champions were soon on the attack themselves.

Play see-sawed between both goals and the first potent shot was a 46-yard right foot drive by inside left Lloyd McLean which had the Trinidad goalkeeper scrambling desperately to his right and the spectators screaming their appreciation.

Play slowed as neither team could gain an ascendancy, then goalkeeper Allan Cupid was called on to make a sliding save from the feet of right winger Neville Oxford.

The visitors inside right Kenny Josephs who has represented Trinidad and who was bothering the KC defence with his speed had to be taken off the field after a collision with the KC goalkeeper Leslie Lucas.

In the 25th minute while Josephs was still being administered to a pass from KC's Leo Jackson at inside right was steered home by centre forward Trevor Harris after he had beaten goalkeeper Cupid.

Left winger Archibald Cummings [sic] another player who has represented Trinidad had to leave the field with a twisted ankle after 30 minutes, his place was taken by Ellis Sadaphal.


Cummings roaming all over the field fired two tremendous right foot shots at the KC goal, the first was just outside the upright and the second rammed into the side of the net.

Half time was taken with the score at 1-0.

KC substituted inside right Jackson who hurt his leg with Carey Coke after the interval. A crashing right foot shot from Oxford drew applause from the Trinidad officials as it curled around the upright.

Josephs levelled the scores from a free kick. A long, high shot from below the half line came to earth inside the penalty area right in front of goalkeeper Lucas who was beaten as he moved out to intercept.

The goal brought the game to life as KC who had been relaxing were now battling for the clincher. It was the bustling Josephs who seemed most likely to give the visitors the lead but Cummings now on the left wing hit a left footer with the side of his foot to goalkeeper Lucas after beating his back.

Now it was KC who were on the defensive and battling to keep the ball out of the back of the net. But The Purple and White boys soon drew the packed stands to their feet with a mighty roar with a great goal.

Oxford swerving deftly down the middle shunted a slide-rule pass to Harris who loosed a left foot pivot shot from 30 yards. The ball swerved to the left as it approached the goal and completely eluded the efforts of the diving Cupid.

This goal must have had some affection, as the Trinidad players never looked as dangerous
as when they started the game. Their ace schemer, inside left Everald Cummings, roamed the field initiating the majority of the Trinidad attacks, but the fast moving KC defence never

KC's right winger Neville Oxford from then on took over the attacking role, moving into the centre at times and laying on good passes, but like KC, the Trinidad defence stood out.

With about three minutes of play remaining, Joseph was lifted from the field, as he suffered a muscle contraction.

KC were still on the attack when referee Ralph Bardowell sounded the final whistle.

The teams

The teams were:

Kingston College: Leslie Lucas (goal), Dennis John (RH), Derrick Bryan (LB), Mickey Vernon (RH), Patrick Kirkwood (CH), Franklin Morant (LH), Neville Oxford (OR), Leo Jackson (IR), Trevor Harris (CF), Lloyd McLean (IL), and Noel Miller (OL).
Trinidad: Allan Cupid (goal), Anthony Martin (RB), Jan Steadman (LB), Bede Wells (RH), Wayne Jackson (CH), Leroy DeLeon (LH), Dick Furlonge (OR), Kenny Josephs (IR), Warren Archibald (CF), Everald Cummings (IL), and Garnet Harris (OL).