Wilson Under No Pressure To Sell Players

Date Published: 
1998-01-20
Source: 
4TheGame.com

Tykes manager Danny Wilson has revealed he will not be forced into balancing the books following his £800,000 capture of Jan Aage Fjortoft.

Wilson took his spending since the summer to just over £5.5million with the signing of the Norwegian international forward from Sheffield United at the end of last week.

Tykes chairman John Dennis has even admitted more players could be brought in as the FA Premiership's bottom side bid to retain their top-flight status.

Wilson said: "At the end of the day there's no pressure on us at all to get rid of people from this football club.

"You do have to make books balance whatever time it may be and whenever the opportunity comes along.

"But at the end of the day the most important thing is staying in this division and that's what people should realise and see that we mean business by bringing the likes of Fjortoft in."

Wilson, meanwhile, is delighted that Eric Tinkler has been dropped for South Africa's friendly against Namibia this Saturday - and possibly for his country's defence of the African Nations Cup.

Wilson heavily criticised the South African Football Association over their participation in last month's Confederations Cup, a tournament he described as "Mickey Mouse".

It left Wilson without the 26-year-old midfielder for two key Premiership matches and there was the possibility Tinkler would also miss the FA Cup fourth-round tie at Tottenham at the weekend.

But he has not been included in new coach Phillipe Troussier's squad and there are now doubts over whether he will be selected for the African Nations Cup throughout February.

Wilson said: "I know it's not a nice thing to say from Eric's point of view but I'm delighted he hasn't been included in the national squad for the Namibia game.

"The simple reason is because I'm selfish and I want him at the club and totally focused on the job in hand. I'm not particularly interested in South Africa at this moment in time."

But the Barnsley manager will be without Clint Marcelle for possibly four matches due to the Trinidad and Tobago striker taking part in the CONCACAF Cup from the start of next month.