Football Double For Oxford

Date Published: 
UK Guardian

Cambridge Beaten in Association Game

Oxford 2, Cambridge 1

In one of the best University Association football matches seen for several seasons Oxford, at Stamford Bridge yesterday afternoon, beat Cambridge by two goals to one, a result that gave the football "double" to Oxford, as Cambridge were also beaten at Rugby on Tuesday.

For considerable periods yesterday the play went strongly in favour of Cambridge, who gained the lead three minutes from the start and maintained their advantage until midway through the second half. The heavier set of men, particularly in defence, Cambridge played a fast, open game, using long passes and speed in rushing attacks, whereas Oxford used skilful footwork and closer combination. Haselwood, the Oxford inside right, did some very clever dribbling and made some openings for Yemm to show his speed, but as the game progressed Benest became the most conspicuous Oxford forward. By pace and accurate passing the outside left won the match, and had Morgan, his partner, not been lamed in a tackle the left wing would doubtless have been dangerous even more than it was. The Oxford half-backs, all old Blues, were strong. Bradshaw worked with unflagging energy, always seemed at hand in moments of danger, and gave capable support to his forwards. Guise occasionally allow Winlaw to get clear on the Cambridge right, and the first mistake of this kind made the opening goal almost a present. Webster did a good piece of dribbling and hist pass from the left found Winlaw unmarked, and, shooting hard as he met the ball, Winlaw completely beat Raven.

There was plenty of heavy charging in the game all through, and two fouls were given against Cambridge, one for jumping, but in the whole match there did not occur one case of off-side. Both teams played real Association football without attempting to exploit the off-side rule, which has allowed forwards extra liberty in approaching the rival goal. Both pairs of backs played together in support of the half-backs, and never did the players straggle all over the field.

Some of the best football came after the change of ends, when Oxford's cleverness in ball control, low passing, and speed in going for goal fully extended the Cambridge defence. Grant made some smart saves, but when he went out to clear Benest got the ball and, closing in, shot a capital goal. A little later Benest beat two opponents and put across a perfect pass a few yards from the goal so that Charlton was able to turn the ball into the net in a very simple fashion. For each of these goals Oxford fairly beat the Cambridge defence, and, while the chief honours went to Benest, the whole side deserved high praise for the skill shown in their plucky uphill battle. Only about 7,000 people were present, and among them were the Spanish team, who must have wished that conditions for their game with England had been as favourable as for this University match. Teams:—

OXFORD.—L. W. A. Raven (Brighton Grammar School and Merton); K. S. Duncan (Malvern and New College), G. H. Tidswell (Highgate and Queen's); A. D. Garrow (Winchester and Corpus Christi), W. H. Bradshaw (Malvern and Trinity), J. L. T. Guise (Winchester and Trinity); E. W. Yemm (Wyggeston and Queen's), J. S. O. Haselwood (Charterhouse and Brasenose), W. Charlton (Peter Symond's School, Winchester, and St. Edmund's Hall), J. B. Morgan (Wolverhampton Grammar School and Jesus), and H. V. Benest (Victoria College, Jersey and Jesus).

CAMBRIDGE.—R. S. Grant (Trinidad and Christ's); G. A. Way (Kings Lynn and Emmanuel), W. V. Owen (Aldenham and Pembroke), L. C. Rumsey (St. Lawrence and Christ's), J. E. E. McLaren (St. Olave's and Christ's); R. De W. K. Winlaw (Winchester and St. John's), A. H. Fabian (Highgate and Pembroke), K. H. L. Cooper (Westminster and Pembroke), W. H. Webster (Highgate and Pembroke), and R. A. Taylor (Cambridge County and Downing).