Jamaica sweep football series

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner


JAMAICA .................... 2 (Alexander, McLean)
TRINIDAD ................... 1 (Franco)

JAMAICA made a clean sweep of the three-game soccer series against Trinidad, when they defeated the tourists 2-1 in the final match at Sabina Park last night.

It was the first time in the three games that the Trinidadians scored a goal. The homesters won previous matches 2-0 and 1-0.

The visitors, much improved, took many more shot to goal than in their previous starts, and with goalkeeper Selvyn Murphy in poor form, the result was some thrilling and suspenseful moments as Jamaica fought off a determined bid by the men from the Southern Caribbean.

Jamaica forced two quick corners on the right wing three minutes after the start, and from the second corner kick by outside right Noel Tappin, left winger Clovis McLean sent a right-footer close by the left upright.

In a Trinidad attack immediately after inside right Carlton Franco, who was taking hard and well-directed shots, kicked over the cross-bar.


Play was even as both sides fought for the opening goal, and Jamaica had a close shave when Murphy, after covering a low shot by Franco, allowed the ball to bounce twice near the goal line. It was cleared before Franco had a chance to follow up.

The home side went ahead in the 26th minute. Following a high corner kick by Tappin, the ever-watchful Franz Alexander, running three yards from his inside left position, shot home with the side of his right foot, practically taking the ball of a defender's boot.

Trinidad keeper, Rawlings Baptiste, was forced to dive full length to the left to push out a grounder from inside right Anthony Hill, as the Jamaican forwards pressed the advantage.

However, the next goal was the equaliser for Trinidad, as Franco's quick and accurate shooting paid off for the tourists in the 34th minute. He sent the ball hard and low towards the left upright, and Murphy, throwing himself to the left covered but dropped the ball, which rolled slowly into goal.

Aroused by this goal, the visitors' first against Jamaica, the home team sought the lead again, and found it in the 38th minute, McLean converting with a header direct from Tappin's corner kick, goalkeeper Baptiste, closer to the other side, had not a chance.

In contrast to Saturday night's match, the Jamaicans did not dominate play, and immediately the second half started, Trinidad went on the attack. They were nearly rewarded with a goal when Murphy ran out in an attempt to intercept outside right Son Baptiste, who shot across to outside left Clive Pantin. But Pantin could not cut down the angle quickly enough to get the ball into the empty goal, and it hit the side of the net.

With Murphy running out to cut down the angle in the 70th minute, Franco's air kick went wide of an empty goal, the other defenders having not yet run in to cover.

The Jamaica centre forward, Ted Ansell, getting possession of the ball after a clash with goalkeeper Baptiste, sped out into the penalty area, and ran through the defence. But his high shot, which if accurate would have found the custodian running, went well over the bar.

Right back, Walter Chevannes gave an inspired performance, and was well supported by left back Bill Gentles, and by the halves, Karl Largie, right, Ken Hamilton, centre, and Frankie Lewis, left.

Referee Duncan Gibson handled the match.

Presentation of the Standard Life Assurance Trophy to the Jamaica team and of medals to players of both teams, was made after the game by the Hon. Grantley Adams, Prime Minister of Barbados.

The Trinidad party of 15 players and Messrs. Ken Galt and Eric James, president and secretary, respectively, of the Trinidad Football Association, are scheduled to leave by air at 10 o'clock this morning for Port of Spain.