Good Soccer Display By Trinidad

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner


TRINIDAD .................... 1 (Franco)
DCLI ...........................1 (Fawdon)

DCLI vs TrinidadDCLI vs Trinidad: This picture was taken before a game against Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry (an English Army team) in Jamaica 1957. The result was 1-1.

AN EXHILARATING display of short passing, particularly in the first half, highlighted play in the drawn soccer match between Senior League champions, Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, and Trinidad at Sabina Park last night.

A crowd of 3,000 saw the League champions restricted the Trinidadians to long shots at goal when it became clear that the Trinidad forwards could not penetrate the soldiers' defence to complete the fine work started by the halves.

DCLI, hardly up to their usual standard, carved some good movements in the first half, but in the second half showed none or little pattern. The same could not be said of the second-half play by the visitors, for although they showed little of the smooth work of early play, they were far more accurate in passing then their somewhat erratic opponents.

Trinidad got on top within the first minute, and following several attacks inside right, Carlton Franco, scored. He saw the ball into the northern goal, slowed by a tackle from right back Bowman, who fell.


What was undoubtedly the best movement of the match was started with right half Frank Gamaldo, who passed to centre half Noel Daniel. The ball went to inside right Franco, outside left Clive Pantin, and back to Franco, finally going out of play when inside left, John McVorran, kicked wide of the goal. No member of the DCLI touch the ball during this movement.

In search of the equaliser, DCLI got a chance when outside left, Love, could have tried a shot with the left foot, but he delayed in an effort to shift the ball to his left foot, and the ball travelled across the goal to outside right Bibbey, whose tame shot rolled outside past the left upright.

Then, in the 30th minute, a high shot from the 30-yard mark by inside right Fawdon had the ball sailing into the right "pigeon hole" to even the score for the home side. Goalkeeper Rawlins Baptiste did not get his hands to the ball.


Both teams played a poorer brand of soccer in the second half. The Trinidadians forwards just could not finish against the alert DCLI defenders, and the homesters passed with too little regard for accuracy to break through fro the winning goal.

The match was refereed by Johnny Wongsam, assisted by David Lewis and Happy Delgado.

Players of both teams were presented to the Governor, Sir Hugh Foot.

Music was played by the DCLI band before the start and at half time.