Committee set up to resolve footballers' issue

Author: 
Mark Pouchet
Date Published: 
2003-02-04
Source: 
Trinidad Express

A NOTE for the much-touted football development plan will be presented to Cabinet Thursday. And a four-member committee has been established to discuss and resolve the issue of the 19 footballers who were suspended from national duty last week by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF).

Those were decisions arrived at yesterday after Minister of Sports and Youth Affairs Roger Boynes met with T&TFF president Oliver Camps and general secretary Richard Groden.

At an impromptu news conference at his Ministry's Duke Street office, Boynes related that both issues on the agenda were discussed "at length".

On the football development plan, Boynes revealed that Camps and the T&TFF had agreed with the document "in principle". And the technical men of both the Ministry and the football federation are to sit down today to iron out the differences before the plan goes before Cabinet.

But the current impasse between suspended national footballers—who walked out on a training session last week ahead of a friendly match against Finland in protest over playing conditions—and the T&TFF was uppermost in Boynes' mind.

"I indicated to Mr Camps and Mr Groden that I wanted this matter to be settled as soon as possible because on Thursday we plan to lay before Cabinet our developmental plan," said Boynes.

The Minister said Camps related that the T&TFF have set up a committee—which will include a representative from the Pro League to espouse the players' view upon the recommendation of Boynes—to investigate the matter, the findings of which will be presented to the federation on February 10.

Boynes said he told Camps that the situation required urgent attention.