Tigers Maul Royalians

Garth Wattley
Date Published: 
Trinidad Express

ONE, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight!

The spectators down at the St Anthony's College ground were taken back to school yesterday afternoon by some unrelenting "Tigers."

Eight times, the schoolboys backing the home team counted with glee as the Tigers tore Queen's Royal College apart in a BWIA Secondary Schools Football League North Zone game.

The Westmooring lads came from a goal down to romp to a stunning 8-2 win.

Lean, hungry striker Damien Westfield was QRC's chief antagonist in the mauling, scoring five goals. Westfield's strike partner Sean Cooper helped himself to a double and Abiola Clarence added another, as the struggling Royalians tumbled to one of the worst defeats in their long history.

It was another day of agony for some of the North Zone's former giants.

Defending champions Mucurapo Senior Com-prehensive, winners in 1997 and 1998, find themselves down at the bottom of the standings after Tranquillity Secondary dumped them 3-0 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Tranquil remain third however, two points behind St Anthony's and four adrift of leaders Malick. The Morvant team held on to their two-point advantage over St Anthony's after a Devon Jorsling double and an Odel Armstrong goal gave them a 3-1 win at Trinity College.

The sighs of the Trinity players may not have been audible down at Fatima ground. But their colleagues from Fatima College also shared in their misery.

"Dat is the lowest!"

The muttered utterance of the disgruntled Fatima schoolboy said much.

He had just seen his side slump to a 2-1 loss, their fifth in six games. And they had gone down, unforgivably to him, to St Mary's College.

There was always going to be a heavier than usual dose of disappointment for the loser of this traditional "grudge" match. With both sides desperate for points, defeat was not a luxury either could afford.

And when substitute Ian Grant's firm right-footed drive went in off an upright to give Fatima a surprise equaliser with about 20 minutes to go, it seemed the spoils would be shared.

But the troubled Saints refused to lose heart. Their superior possession and numerous chances should have made Grant's goal irrelevant.

Forward Scott Sealy with his sharp eye for goal had started the ball rolling in the first half.

With Fatima goalkeeper Jason Sheppard and CIC striker Owichio Adogwa struggling to regain their ground after a goalmouth scramble for his cross, Sealy raced in to finish the job himself, heading over the keeper and then tapping home.

Sealy with his good passing and roving play created many more chances for his teammates in the second period. But a combination of poor finishing and some brave goalkeeping kept the score in check until Grant's equaliser.

But Sealy and skipper Brendon Barry had the final say.

Found perfectly by Sealy's left side cross ball, the CIC captain beat Sheppard at the far post with a clinical finish.

Salvation at last for the Saints.

On this day at least, they climbed out of the lion's den.