15,000 See Jamaica Beat Trinidad, 2-1

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

Visitors Play Better, But Miss Chances

ANOTHER mammoth crowd, estimated to be near 15,000, saw Jamaica beat Trinidad for the first time in history of football yesterday afternoon, when the home team won by the odd goal in three in the second of five "Tests" at Sabina Park.

Incidentally, both goals were scored by the changes made from the first Jamaica side: Dudley Smith, at outside-right, getting the equaliser when Jamaica were trailing 1—0 at half-time; and Claude McMorris, the St. George's Old Boys' sharpshooter, getting the winning goal.

The individualistic brilliance of Alcock lost all its sheen; Joey Gonsalves did not seem so uncanny in Trinidad's goal, neither did we see the master touch of George Allen; V. Delgado was something of the chameleon, whilst Dujon was really good; and McKen at centre-half was Jamaica's best player, not Walters this time. McKen's head always seemed to be in the way of every move by Trinidad in the air. Among other things, Prior Jones, whom Alcock had running aimlessly about on Wednesday, was probably the most constructive Trinidad player yesterday, positioning, collecting and distributing nicely and the newcomer John Huggins at left-back did not measure up to Syl Dopson at right, who was probably seen at his best in a match of such importance. His positional play and kicking were really excellent.

Jamaica really at no time ever settled down to constructive short-passing that controlled the first game, even in the second half when they were having the better of the exchanges. In construction the visitors were really seen to better advantage. Truly but for a penalty, which was palpably bushed by Walters from the spot, Jamaica deserved to have been trailing 3—0 instead of 1—0 at the end of the first half.

Over-passing by the defenders in front of goal when under pressure were probably the chief tactical error on our part which favoured the Trinidadians, and which, too, was the main responsible for Trinidad's goal due to the mistake of perfect Walters of Wednesday. "Putty" Lewis, one of the three changes in the visiting side coming in for Ken Galt at centre-forward, scored with a really good shot just within the area; but he had all the time in the world to shoot, as the defenders practically looked on as if mesmerised.

Trinidad's greatest handicap was the apparently innate habit of elbowing when tackling. Often some of their best movements were not "checkmated" so much by the defence, but really by the whistle of Johnny Groves, who handled the match very efficiently, for this continuous breach.

How Play Went

Jamaica, winning the toss, kicked up the hill first, but Trinidad were first on the move, only an off-side breach checking their first move; and but for occasional raids from the local side, in which they gave promise of improvement, Trinidad from then were always on the initiative. Both teams seemed to be affected by the occasion and could not settle down to the quality of football expected of them. However, at one time McLean, who seemed to have been hurt in his gallant effort and limped for the rest of the match, was just able to throw himself flat on the ball, when it got through his hands and trickling dangerously to an open goal.

It was not long after Hollinghead, who is uncertain as to when to lob, centre or shoot, was brought down unfortunately by that fine half-back Malcolm McLean for Jamaica's great opportunity but which was bushed!

Trinidad scored just before the end of the first half and nearly increased the lead on the resumption when McLean, out of his goal, got "home" just in time to push out a lob from Lewis.

But gradually Jamaica asserted themselves, taking control of the game, with the attack being directed from the right. Dudley Smith at outside right put in some fast work and after a couple raids that left the defence to his mercy, he eventually beat Gonsalves with a running first-time shot froma pass from the left between the 'keeper and the upright.

Keeping up the pressure and with the attack shifted to the left, McMorris at last got that chance which both he himself and the big crowd were waiting for. A movement ended finally when Allen gave the ball to the centre-forward some five yards outside the penalty area.

Like A Bullet

Gonsalves was probably one of the majority who expected him to pass, but instead he let go with a strong left-foot shot that grazed the cross-bar and ricocheted like a bullet into the back of the net.

The teams were introduced to His Honour Sir Hector Hearne, Chief Justice of Jamaica, accompanied by Mr. Granville daCosta, President of the J.F.A. The Alpha Band was in attendance.

The teams lined up as follows:

Jamaica:—A. T. McLean; A. U. Dujon, V. Delgado; H. Walters, K. McKen, S. Bayliss; D. Smith, L. Alcock, C. S. McMorris, G. Allen (Capt.), S. Hollingshead.

Trinidad:—J. Gonsalves; S. Dopson, J. Huggins; M. McLean, P. Jones (Capt.), I. Seale; J. Stollmeyer, G. Gomez, P. Lewis, R. Burnett, L. Lynch.

Referee: J. M. Groves; Linesmen: F. O. Romney and S/S/M Vance.

[photo caption]

At top left Trinidad raid Jamaica's goal but are effectively dealt with by Arthur McLean (goal-keeper) and Keith McKen (centre-half) to the extreme left of the picture. Left, bottom, are to be seen admirers mobbing Dudley Smith, one of Jamaica's two changes, who score out first goal to equalise the score. To the right, a return of the enthusiastic crowd of 15,000 strong which saw the home colony beat Trinidad for the first time in history at football.