Trinidad regain Shell Cup

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

TRINIDAD and Tobago gained sweet revenge for last years Shell Cup loss to Jamaica when they defeated the defending champions 3-1 in the 1992 final in Port of Spain last night.

The tournament's leading scorer Leonson Lewis (seven goals), Russell Latapy and Clint Marcelle scored for 1989 champions Trinidad while Michael Graham got the consolation for Jamaica.

Jamaica played very well especially in defence but were handicapped severely by the loss of ace midfielder Winston Anglin, who was on a one match ban, and defender Desmond Smith. Jamaica, like they did against Martinique in the semi-final finished the game with ten men. Peter Cargill was sent off after receiving two cautions for persistent foul play. Cargill will miss Jamaica's first leg World Cup match against the Trinidadians on July 5.

Trinidad began the game like a house on fire with midfielders Kerry Jamerson, Russell Latapy and Clint Marcelle sending numerous passes into the Jamaican penalty area to the ever dangerous Leonson Lewis and the English Division One professional Dwight Yorke.

The Jamaican defence held out with Mark Wilson, Linval Wilson, Barrington Gaynor and captain Anthony Corbett covering well. Inevitably, however, the defenders succumbed to the pressure and Trinidad took the lead after 16 minutes. An ever-present and unmarked Leonson Lewis collected an accurate pass from Jamerson and slammed past the Jamaican goalkeeper Warren Barrett.

Jamaica again wilted under the Trinidadian pressure ten minutes before half time and Lewis was again involved. A two man move between himself and Marcelle ended with the latter being brought down in the penalty spot. Russell Latapy made no mistake from the spot as the Trinidadians led 2-0 at half time.

Jamaica came back immediately after the break. A mix-up in the Trinidad and Tobago defence four minutes inside the second half left Michael Graham with a simple scoring opportunity.

Jamaica had a short period of ascendancy after the goal. Roderick Reid who scored against Martinique in Wednesdays the semi-final had the Trinidad and Tobago defence in some trouble with his menacing dribbles but the Jamaican team failed to attack in numbers and Reid was often left with no support.

Trinidad struck the final blow three minutes from the end. Marcelle crowned an outstanding game when he converted from inside the 18-yard box after getting a good pass from Hutson Charles.