Football In Trinidad

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

Clubs Carry Off Trophies As Season Comes To Close

1939 TAFA Shield Medal1939 TAFA Shield Medal: won by Notre Dame

The 1939 Trinidad Amateur Football Association season concluded on December 16 when the League champions met the Southern Amateur Football League champions in the final for the Gooden-Chisholm Cup, an elimination competition.

Notre Dame represented T.A.F.A. and United British O. T. the S.A.F.L., the former proving the champion club of the colony, adding the Gooden-Chisholm Cup to the T.A.F.A. Shield.

Opposing a side that included four international players, including J. C. Sutherland and Otto Wilkes, member of the Trinidad team which came to Jamaica. Notre Dame depended on their all-round ability to nose out a 1—0 victory, although according to the report, "the Dames were much superior to their Southern rivals than the score would indicate". Sutherland had a poor match and probably that was the reason why U.B.O.T. forward line could not get going.

At the conclusion of the match the many trophies were distributed by the Hon. Captain John Huggins, Colonial Secretary, who it is said was an English international amateur player.

Casuals, whose team include Botha Tench, a Jamaican visitor, besides the three Trinidad Test cricketers—Gerry Gomez and Victor and Jeffrey Stollmeyer—won the T.A.F.A. Trophy, equivalent to our Senior Knockout. They were also the only club to beat the League Champions, but it was in Notre Dames' last match after they had already won the championship.

The score was 2—0; the first goal came from a centre by Jeffrey, while Gomez got the second. Actually three brothers were on the Casuals forward line for this match. Andre Stollmeyer, Trinidad centre-forward, making a first season appearance after being held up by an injured leg, which gave way during the match.


The other big trophy for First League clubs was carried off by Shamrock, whose side included such visitors as Frank Ambard (goal), D. Galt (back), H. Burnett (outside right), and Willie Payne (outside left). The trophy is the B.D.V., which the club won for the fourth successive year, beating the Police on this occasion by a single goal.

It is said that too much football is played by clubs, particularly first teams in Jamaica, yet in Trinidad no fewer than twelve cups or shields are competed for by clubs and schools and four others for inter-league competitions. The first mentioned twelve are under the aegis of the T.A.F.A., while there are many others under the control of the Northern League, the Southern League, and the Southern Association.

This year was a successful one for the T.A.F.A. in the inter-league competitions as they won two trophies outright, and tied for another. Of course the T.A.F.A. are the leading football body in the colony and control all visits and tours, but the inter-league competition helped to keep all the best players in Trinidad under the eyes of the selectors and facilitate selection for international matches.

Considering the number of Leagues affiliated to the T.A.F.A. it will be seen that the selectors have a bigger task than those in Jamaica as they have to pick from a larger number of players, all the best players of the respective leagues being considered.

Arthur Wilkinson, captain of the team to Jamaica, was also on the cup-winning side, as he helped Queen's Royal College, of which he is a master, to carry off the Cow and Gate Cup. Unlike our colleges nowadays Q.R.C. take part in competitions for First League teams in Trinidad.