Shamrock Makes Soccer History In Trinidad

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

Frank Ambard And Willie Payne, Known Here, Help Side To Third Success

The Shamrock Football Club, which include two players well known to Jamaica, made history in Trinidad football on Saturday, December 10, when they won the B.D.V. Cup, for First Division clubs of the colony, for the third successive season.

Frank Ambard in goal as usual, and Willie Payne, transferred from outside-left to right back, helped Shamrock to their latest triumph by beating Colts 3-1. Colts had previously beaten Casuals 3-1.

"F. Ambard, Shamrock's crack custodian and the colony's foremost goal-keeper, performed remarkably well under the uprights and was continuously applauded as he stuck to his task and saved shots from all angles," says one report; and:

"The Payne-Rignault combination in the back line proved a veritable stumbling block in Colts' path as they repelled attack after attack in convincing fashion."

This match was played the week before the close of the football season of the colony which ended the Saturday (December 17) following the playing of of the final for the F.A. Trophy.

Wilkinson Again

Casuals, T.A.F.A. League champions for 1938, were beaten by Apex, Southern League champions for the same period for the Gooden Chisholm Cup played for between two such teams annually. They were beaten 2-1, and C. Botha Tench, the former centre half who made such a name for himself out here now at centre forward, got the Casuals' solo. J. F. Merry, another visitor to Jamaica, played at right back for the Casuals.

Popular Arthur Wilkinson leader of the team here was again at the helm of the Trinidad Amateur Football Association Eleven in their annual match against the Northern Amateur Football League, the former winning by six goals to one.

Wilkinson, therefore, made good his reputation of not losing a representative match since he visited Jamaica in 1935-36. Playing under him, Payne was again at outside-left, with John Alkins leading the forward line. Wilkinson was left-half.

Payne helped himself to tow of the goals and Alkins got one.