A. Wilkinson, Footballer, Leads Victors

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

Another Triumph For The Trinidad Captain Who Visited This Island.
Amateur Football Association's Eleven Beat Southern Amateur Football League Team.

Another triumph for Arthur Wilkinson, the Trinidad football Captain and one of the finest football tacticians and fighters to visit this island. On this occasion he led the Trinidad Amateur Football Association's Eleven to a smashing three nil victory over the Southern Amateur Football League team in the annual North vs. South match of Trinidad.

The match is put on par with an International encounter when players vie ardently with each other to be included in the side for international honours. It is therefore regarded as the local classic, and it is played for a special trophy known as the Gilbert Skinner Cup. The match came off on Saturday the 7th inst.

The T.A.F.A. team represents the North and therefore was led by Wilkinson, who after the tussle received the trophy from the hands of the Governor, Sir Murchison Fletcher, K.C.M.G., O.B.E. The opposing Captain was none other than Buster Henderson, who played right half so effectively out here last season, and of course, on either side were many players who were members of the colony side out here.

The two stars of the match were John Alkins, another member fo the Jamaica side and who played as usual at centre-forward, and Wilkinson himself. They were responsible for their side's goals, Alkins notching two and "Wilkie" the other.


Many prominent officials and citizens of the colony were present at the game, and the Northern side played some good football to regain the football supremacy of the island after a lapse of two years.

Other players who helped the Northern side to its triumph and whom we know out here, are Frank Ambard (goal); C. Botha Tench (centre-half); and Harold Burnett (outside right); D. Galt was at first selected to play at full back, but a bad leg prevented him from doing so.

On the Southern side was none other than Thompson Hadden who kept back so ably for Kingston and All-Jamaica against the Trinidadians last season. There were also Otto Wilkes (outside right); Lester Henderson (inside left) and Willie Payne (outside left); Buster Henderson, appropriately played at centre half, but J. C. Sutherland, who played at inside left out here, was unable to play.


Although the field was water-soaked, which made accurate passing and ball control difficult, the game was a brilliant one. The South despite their heavy reverse gave a good account of themselves especially in the opening stages, but they were handicapped by the absence of Sutherland, and J. A. R. Daniel who was unable to make the Jamaica team, their two best forwards.

Here is a synopsis of the descriptive account of the match taken from the "Sunday Guardian".

The visitors used the short passing method and at times looked as if they were going to overpower their rivals' defence, but C. Botha Tench proved to be a tower of strength at centre-half.

Rolly Tench and Jean Rignault, the backs, also did splendidly while the wing halves, Sedley Agostini and Arthur Wilkinson, were good at times.

There was scarcely any difference between the Southern forwards, although Lester Henderson and Frank Solomon when on the ball always looked more dangerous than their team mates.


J. Alkins, at the spearhead of the attack proved to be one of the chief causes of South's defeat, this player registering two brilliant goals.

Arthur Wilkinson registered the other, which was indeed a fine effort.

Probably the best defence player on the field, was Thompson Hadden, the Southern full-back, who gave a fine display.

Buster Henderson, Otto Wilkes and Rupert Bell also helped to stem the North's attacks, but they gave way under the sharp bustling method of the City lads.

Frank Ambard in goal for North also helped his team by his good work between the uprights.

The game opened at a fast rate and the South team kicking toward the western goal took charge of play with their short passing method.

When the game was less than ten minutes old, they missed a fine opportunity to score as Solomon was slow in shooting.

The homesters started to carry things after this, and Burnett was effective on the wing, and both J. Alkins and Stollmeyer tried shots which missed their marks and once Frank dePass gathered nicely.

Just before the whistle for halftime was blown, North nearly scored. C. B. Tench worked the ball beautifully and gave it to Alkins, who winged a fine centre, but Chambers just missed with his head, dePass saving. As the ball went to Burnett, some yards out, the half-time was signalled.


In the second half the Northerners opened on the offensive and were rewarded with a corner on the left which resulted in their first goal.

The kick was well taken by A. Alkins, the left winger, and J. Alkins, the centre forward sent a beauty of a shot past dePass.

T.A.F.A. 1—S.A.F.L. 0.

The game after this became more spirited as South tried to equalise, and Solomon and Brown tried a few long shots which Ambard held safely.

The North were forever trying and some time later were rewarded with their second goal. This goal was registered by Arthur Wilkinson who, situated on the left side of the field, put a real fine right-foot drive in the further corner of the nets, giving dePass no chance.

North was definitely on top, and before the end, H. Burnett sped down on the wing and centred for J. Alkins to send another hard left-footer crashing into the nets.

Before the game closed, it was marked with one very brilliant effort, and that was registered by Rolly Tench, who flung himself to head out what looked like a certain Southern goal and hurt himself as he connected with the goal post.

He was however able to play in the next few minutes.