Trinidadians Win Their Last Match And Sail Away

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

Visitors Fight Back To Beat Montego Bay 2—1 In Fast Game At Jarrett Park: Feted At Farewell Dinner By Cornwall County Football Board: Dance After The Match

Victorious Trinidadian Football TeamVictorious Trinidadian Football Team: who defeated a strong combined Montego Bay on Monday. In the picture are Maynard, Galt, Merry, Wilkes, B. Henderson, Wilkinson (Capt.); Burnett, L. Henderson, Alkins, Thompson, Payne.

FRESH FROM A STRING of victories in Kingston, the Trinidad football team, which sailed last night for Colombia to play a series of matches in Barranquilla, took Montego Bay by storm on Sunday and Monday and found fresh fields to add to their list of conquests.

First of all their cheery spirit and friendliness, then the great fight they put up in the face of trailing behind the strong Montego Bay Combine, won for them the admiration and esteem of all who came in contact with them for the couple days they sojourned in the famous West-Jamaica resort—all who saw them convert, like magic, what seemed to be an inevitable defeat into a victory that was the fruit of perseverance and pluck.

The visitors were afforded a true Montego Bay welcome, and were loud in their praise of the hospitality accorded them throughout their stay here.

The Trinidadians accompanied by Mr. E. B. Hallett, General Secretary of the Y.M.C.A. and a member of the Council of the Jamaica Football Association, left the city early on Sunday morning for Montego Bay by car.

They had a pleasant and uneventful drive—some of the boys stopping at Linstead at the home of Mr. Herbert Plant, who also made the trip down from that point.


The visitors seemed particularly interested to see a "100-miles" milestone—for the first time.

But that was nothing compared to the joy of seabathing at the world famed "Doctor's Cave" indulged in by some of the party.

Not in the same party but on the road at the same time were Mr. W. J. Palmer, President of the J.F.A., his daughter, Miss Margery Palmer, and Mr. Guy Campbell, a member of the J.F.A. Council.

The attendance at the match was very encouraging to the County of Cornwall Football Board through whose enterprise, public-spiritedness and undeniable interest in the welfare of the game, the visit to Montego Bay was arranged. That success attended their efforts was due also, to a considerable extent, to the enthusiasm and co-operation of the public.

After the game, a delightful dinner was given at Hotel Chatham where the visitors stayed in Montego Bay.

They were welcomed to the "Western Metropolis"' by a committee of the following gentlemen—Inspector J. Harvey Clark, a member of the Cornwall Board, Mr. C. Scott, Captain of Montego Bay, Messrs. W. Gordon Hilton and E. Leo Preston, Vice-Pres. and Secy. of the Guild
F.C., and Mr. E. Grant Levy, Secretary of the Cornwall Board.


The match was ably and efficiently refereed by Mr. "Mike" Hanna, doyen of local "knights of the whistle" who journeyed all the way to Montego Bay to do the duty. To Mike, however, it is more than a duty—he regards it as a profound pleasure to be able to assist football in Jamaica in whatever way he possibly can. He has been refereeing for nearly 15 years and his services have been so invaluable, it might be well to consider "doing something" in honour of him.

And Now The Match

Combined Montego BayCombined Montego Bay: who lost to the touring Trinidadian team on Monday. In the picture (l to r) standing: A. Campbell, V. Collymore, F. Clayton, C. Alcock, A. Webster. (Kneeling) W. Taylor, H. Armstrong, A. Sinclair. (Sitting) Cal. Scott (capt.); W. T. Hall and F. Jim.

To return to the match: the Trinidad side was (from right to left) as follows: Goal: Galt. Backs: Maynard and Merry. Halves: Wilkes, B. Henderson, Wilkinson (Capt). Forwards: Burnett, L. Henderson, Alkins, Thompson, Payne.

It will be seen that they were without the services of Tench, Sutherland and Ambard.

Montego Bay's team was this. Goal: W. T. Hall. Backs: F. Jim and Cal Scott (Captain). Halves: W. Taylor, H. Armstrong, A. Sinclair. Forwards: A. Campbell, F. Clayton, V. Collymore, C. Alcock, A. Webster.

Before play was started, the members of both teams and the referee were presented to the Custos of the parish (the Hon. F. M. Kerr Jarrett), the M.L.C. (the Hon. P. F. Lightbody) and the Chairman of the Parochial Board (Mr. Edmund Hart) who were accompanied by Mr. W. J. Palmer, Pres. J.F.A. and Mr. E. Grant Levy, Secy. of the Cornwall County Football Board.

Amidst visible signs of enthusiasm—the local "rooters" were loud in their applause—the match got underway. L. Henderson moved down the line, evading the opposing defenders until he encountered the full backs and was dispossessed. Montego Bay moved up smartly and what seemed to be almost certain goal for them, as their forwards swept into a swift raid, was obviated only by the fine work of Maynard. Merry and Galt and Henderson (B) backing up splendidly. Trinidad returned to the attack and Hall was called upon to save from an awkward high lob. Shortly afterward, Payne, in a safe position to score, unaccountably kicked across the goal mouth outside.

Play was scrappy. Both sides, more particularly Trinidad, were being handicapped by the uncertainty of the field. The ball was bouncing too high and not even the homesters were able to stand their ground. At an early stage, the Trinidad Captain started to show unmistakable effects of an injured knee, but he stuck to his task to the end manfully and set a fine example of sportsmanship and courage.

Followed fast work by Montego Bay. Twice in rapid succession high lobs dropping into the goal mouth had Trinidad's defence greatly worried. The pressure on each occasion, though momentary, was exceedingly great.

Play was transferred to the other end and Trinidad moved down switftly but failed to put the finishing touches to some clever moves between their forwards and halves. L. Henderson was too hesitant in have a "go" at goal and Payne put over from a lovely pass from Thompson.

Visitors Are Hard Pressed.

Resuming pressure Montego Bay were again dangerous as their front line aided by high lobs falling behind their opponents' last line of defence but one, gave Galt a warm reception, but he responded magnificently to the demands of the crises. Then Campbell, leader of the dashing offensive, moved up on the right wing briskly and centred accurately. The ball came across like a flash—the result of a vigorous kick—and slipped from Galt's grasp even as he tried to hold it. To his utter chagrin and the joy of Montego Bay and their supporters, two of the onrushing forwards—Collymore and Alcock—flashed past him, the latter easily converting what was destined to be Montego Bay's only goal.

Play proceeded apace but scrappily. The players were going at a tremendous pace and not sparing themselves. The attack of the home side was the dominating feature at this stage. Campbell, on the wing, being fast, accurate and spectacular. The Trinidad defenders worked like trojans. On one occasion their goalkeeper was eluded by an opposing forward as he was forced to leave the goal, but Maynard going down full length on his side, barely put out in the nick of time—just being able at the very last moment to get his foot around two forwards. The resulting corner was of no avail.

Both sides had some good chances of scoring for the rest of the half but failed to make the best of them.

Trinidad toward the close were having a more sustained attack—Montego Bay depending rather upon fast and occasional raids on their opponents' goal.

Montego Bay were leading 1—0 at half time.


Trinidad went on the attack at once when play was resumed but their forwards were failing in from of the goal—to be precise, they were delaying in taking shots.

Montego Bay's first resolute sally caused Webster to give Clayton a "header" in front of goal, but the ball fell short of the aim and Galt cleared in dashing style.

Trinidad's goal was under seige for sometime but the defence rallied. A fine pass from B. Henderson gave Burnett a fast run for goal, the ball well ahead of him. Hard pressed he centred and as the goalkeeper fumbled, Alkins more down on him sharply—the ball barely going around the upright for a corner. The kick yielded nothing and play was transferred to midfield. The exchanges continued sharp and fast, before Montego Bay brought the Trinidad citadel under a veritable barrage of shots.

First, Campbell, on the extreme right wing, positioned one of his inside men well in front only to see him head hard and fast over—the ball merely skimming the cross bar—from a point quite near in. Then the same winger, breaking away cut in and fruitlessly let drive just short of the opposite corner.


Undaunted by the narrow escapes they were having. Trinidad went up again on the attack and were properly awarded a free kick just outside the penalty area. With a lovely cannon like kick Burnett found the right hand corner of the net with a fine placement.

With the score even, play became more keen. Montego Bay swept down as fast as before and again had some good opportunities.

Campbell missed twice, one a particularly easy chance as he beat the only defender between himself and the goalkeeper to the ball, and sacrificed accuracy for force. The ball whizzed past the upright near and went outside.

Play assumed a "ding dong" aspect. The exchanges were, as it were, up and down—now Trinidad's turn at attacking, now Montego Bay's.

Then the visitors went ahead and won the match. Sent away fast, Burnett got the ball through with characteristic dependability and Alkins netted. Trinidad 2. Montego Bay 1.

In a sharp movement following a free kick against Trinidad a little way outside the penalty area, Montego Bay's efforts to equalise the score were frustrated only by clever work by the full backs and Galt—B. Henderson and his fellow halves co-operating splendidly.

A number of


to score were missed by both teams. Even at the end, Trinidad experienced a thrill as Montego Bay attacked grimly and then as quickly reversing play all but scored a third goal.

Full time found Trinidad in their usually good physical condition. Some of the local boys appeared a bit "winded" just before the final whistle went.

Although the standard of play was not high, it was nevertheless fast and keen and a great strain was exerted on the physical resources of both sides.

The players stood up to the gruelling test exceptionally well. It was only at the very end that the losers shewed signs of fatigue—rather some of them did—although they set the pace.

Montego Bay ought not to have lost—in fact it is fair to say they had the better of the encounter and got more and easier chances of scoring, and should have won. The fault lay with their forwards who as a whole, were lacking in finesse.


The veteran Scott, 22 years at the game saved many an awkward situation by his tenacity and experience. Jim, his partner was outstanding and the entire half line played rather well. It was a pity Campbell their otherwise fine right winger, "bushed" so many shots at goal.

For Trinidad B. Henderson always sound and hardworking though not spectacular or brilliant and apt to be oversighted was the best. Maynard was his usual reliable self and Galt and Merry put in real hard work.

The forwards were steady, Thompson dashing a trifle too individual. The hardworking Sutherlandland was greatly missed and Burnett on the right wing, might have been fed more.


Among the huge crowd who witnessed the match and gave expression to their appreciation and enthusiasm were the Hon. F. M. Kerr Jarett, the Hon. P. F. Lightbody, M.L.C., Mr. Edmund Hart, Archdeacon Harrison, the Rev. G. H. Moon, Messrs G. P. Brown, C. M. Ogilvie, W. T. Palmer, Guy Campbell, E. B. Hallett, V. C. McCormack, R. H. Brandon, Bernard O'Toole, E. Grant Levy, G. A. Campbell, C. S. Farquharson, L. W. Foote, Peter Kerr-Jarrett, St. G. Vivian Thompson, J. R. M. Cooke, Donald McDonald, C. O'Brien Nation, Walter Byles, Neville Claire, M. Figueroa, Mr. and Mrs. Karl Craig, Mr. and Mrs. O. Webster, Mr. and Mrs. Dudley Webster, Mrs. Arnold Webster, Mr. Gerald Parkin and family, Mr. Jim Weller and family, Mrs. M. Palmer, Mrs. Whiteside, Mrs. Quinn and a number of tourists and society folk—all of whom thoroughly enjoyed the game.


The dinner given by the County of Cornwall Football Board at Chatham Hotel served as a farewell function to the visiting Trinidadians.

In addition to members of the team, there were present: His Honour the Custos, who presided; Archdeacon Harrison, the Rev. G. H. Moon, Messrs. G. P. Brown, Edmund Hart, W. J. Palmer, E. B. Hallett, Guy Campbell, W. Gordon Hilton, E. Grant Levy, C. Scott, L. W. Foote, Peter Kerr Jarrett, Michael Hanna, Dr. S. C. Nethersole, H. Steadman, E. Leo Preston and K. G. Hill.

After a delightful menu was served, the toast of the King was formally proposed by the Chairman.

The health of


was proposed by Mr. Scott, captain of the Montego Bay team. Mr. Scott was sorry that, there had only been one match between Montego Bay and Trinidad. He wished the visitors had stayed longer so that he might have known them a little better. He appreciated their sportsmanship and skill and wished them the best. He hoped they would return again and if they did, that Montego Bay would fare better against them.

The, toast was duly honoured.

Replying, Mr. Wilkinson, the


thanked Mr. Scott for the kind sentiments he had expressed with reference to the Trinidad team. Mr. Scott had said he wished they had stayed a little longer so that he might know them better. But had they done so, they might have regretted it! They had enjoyed coming to Jamaica—they had enjoyed coming to Montego Bay. That did not mean to say they would not be glad to get back home some day.

In the following evening, they would be on their way to Barranquilla and he imagined that by
next Christmas perhaps they might be reaching back to Trinidad with Xmas packages! (laugh
ter). He thanked Jamaica and Montego Bay on behalf of the team, for the excellent spirit and
hospitality which they had enjoyed at all times. He could assure them that the boys were not likely to forget Montego Bay. Just as it took two to make a quarrel, so it took two sides to play the game. If Jamaica had not played the game, too, Trinidad could not have.


The Montego Bay team was an exceedingly good one and the match with them that afternoon, was Trinidad's eighth game. Like arithmetical progression, each side they played, had played better than the other, and while he was not eager to say Montego Bay was
the best team in Jamaica, he must say that they were very good, and Trinidad could not be unduly elated over their victory that afternoon. They hoped some day to be able to return the hospitality extended to them, or to come back to enjoy more of it. He would ask the members of his team to rise and drink to the health of their hosts.

That was fittingly done.


The Chairman said it was now his privilege and duty to propose a toast to a man who had done many years hard work for football in Jamaica and to whom country football owed a lot. He was referring to Mr. Palmer, President of the J.F.A. Mr. Palmer was so ardent a supporter of football that he had named his house after a prominent English team. Mr. Palmer lived in the atmosphere of "Tottenham" and supplied the "Hotspurs." (laughter), Mr. Palmer was a man who carried out to the hilt any work he undertook. Of course nothing else could be expected from one from the Old Country, and Mr. Palmer was no exception to those from the Mother Country who had become so much interested in the welfare of the country as to be indistinguishable from a denizen! He hoped Mr. Palmer would not carry into effect his oft-repeated threat to resign from the Football Association.


After Mr. Palmer's health had been drunk, Mr. Palmer replied. He said he had been in Jamaica
for twenty one years and so far as interest in the youth of the island playing football was concerned, he took second place to no one. To him there was no greater joy in life than trying to do something to mould the character of a young man. He thought nothing had a
more profound influence on the character of young men than football.

The Council had had a delightful time arranging the tour. They had tried to foster that inter-Colonial relationship that all good colonies should do. It was


—cementing the friendship between the two peoples. He was sure the Association's efforts would bear good fruit. British West Indians knew too little about one another and there was nothing like personal contact.

He had enjoyed the tour; it had been a hundred per cent success. Everything they had been able to do for the visitors had been a real joy and a pleasure and the way it had been reciprocated by members of the Trinidad team justified and rewarded their efforts. "You
have shown yourselves a better team than it was possible for us to have put together in Jamaica against you," he assured the visitors.

Jamaica would never forget the thrills of the last thirty minutes of the last Colony match when Trinidad played back and won after being down one nil. It was a pleasure to meet all the members of the team, especially Messrs. Wilkinson and Tench, and he wished them all every success, every prosperity. He wanted them to take away the pleasantest memories of
Jamaica and the assurance that every minute they had been here, was a real joy.

He assured them that they would leave behind nothing but the best memories both on and off the field. On behalf of the Jamaica Football public, he thanked Trinidad for the fine performances they had given.


Mr. Guy Campbell proposed the toast to the Cornwall County Football Board. He spoke of the exceptional effort made by the Board to have the Trinidad team in Montego Bay. They had been as keen as mustard on having their players pitted against the visitors and had stood alone in the achievement. He congratulated the board on the success and on the fine
game put up by the Montego Bay boys.

The Rev. Moon, Vice-President of the Board, responded. He had played for the Corinthians for three years and had been a football writer for the "Manchester Guardian" for three years. He was very disappointed, he remarked, that Montego Bay had not won but he was very glad that Trinidad had won, because the local boys would benefit considerably from what they had been up against that afternoon.

He was very pleased to be associated with all that had been said about the sportsmanship of the visitors who had played and won a clean game. He hoped, the spirit of unity would be fostered as a result of the contact between Trinidad and Jamaica. He hoped Montego Bay would always be able to receive any other visiting teams that might come to the island—other Trinidad would receive Montego Bay. (laughter).

Football in Montego Bay had developed greatly and he believed it would continue to progress. He hoped the next time Jamaica met Trinidad, if all-Jamaica could not do it, Montego Bay would do it.

An enjoyable dance was given afterwards in honour of the visitors in the pavilion of the Guild

The Trinidad team returned to Kingston yesterday, in the forenoon, from Montego Bay.


The tourists sailed at midnight for Puerto Colombia in the s.s. Colombia. They are due to play a series of matches in Barranquilla and expect to be in Colombia for twelve days.

Among those who saw them off were Messrs. W. J. Palmer, G. M. DaCosta, E. B. Hallett, N. N. Nethersole, V. R. Parkinson, S. R. Braithwaite, Frank Barrow, Paul Chevannes, D. P. Lacy, V. G. Sasso, W. T. Hadden, J. Smedmore, Stephen Myers, Frank McIntosh, Ken Hill and a number of members of the fairer sex with whom the team has been popular.