Venezuelan Footballers Beat Trinidad

Date Published: 
Jamaica Gleaner

10,000 Spectators At First International Match In Sister Colony.
Give Striking Exhibitions Of Ball Control, in Scoring 2—0 Victory.

(Air Mail from our Correspondent)

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, Sep. 10: (From the "Guardian"):—

Wonderful football thrilled ten thousand spectators on the Queen's Park Savannah yesterday afternoon when Venezuela beat a Trinidad team—Shamrock-Casuals combined—by two goals to none.

They were both scored in the second half, one a long shot by M. L[illegible], the Captain, and the other a close up near the goal, scored by A. Flores, the left outside.

It was the first time in the history of football in the Colony that a team of footballers from Venezuela has visited Trinidad.

It was Venezuela's day from the first moment the team arrived, marched out from their dressing room and paraded before the Grand Stand.

They gave three cheers for the spectators in the enclosure, three cheers for Dr. Godoy, the Consul for Venezuela, who occupied the State Box with Senora Godoy and Dr. and Mrs. Plimtner, & finally in the middle of the field they gave three cheers to the crowd.

The Honourable the Inspector General and the Honourable the Mayor of Port of Spain were keen spectators in the front row of the stand.

The gathering was more like a fashionable race crowd than a football throng. It was a social occasion and the Venezuelan Colony had turned out in strength to support the visitors.


Venezuela showed their superiority right from the beginning when they gave striking exhibitions of ball control.

They seemed able to twist it and divert it to any part of the field at will, and they did not hesitate to stick to the ball when an advantage could be obtained by drawing a Trinidad man.

Trinidad players played a long range game of kick and rush, tactics which would not have brought them through safely to half time had not the Venezuelan players skied their early shots. Their marvellous control of the ball failed them in front of the goal when shot after shot went skywards.

At half time, the Venezuelan shooting improved, the newness of the ball wore off and their shots were as true and low as those of the Trinidad players, whose distance kicking was better than their combination.

The Trinidad team made valiant efforts to equalise after the first goal but they could not drive their attacks home.

"I misjudged the first ball which scored," Ray Lange, the Casuals-Shamrock custodian told me—"or else I should have saved it. I was in the wrong place for the second goal."

Lange was the most dejected man on the field but the victory of the Venezuelans was due to all round superiority and not to any individual Trinidad player.

"It was one of the cleanest games I have ever refereed," said Mervyn Grell, the referee, after the match. "There were no fouls. It was a clean hard game."

There were wild scenes after the scoring of each goal. The Manager and trainer and staff of the Venezuelan team rushed on the field after each goal, and embraced the goal scorer. When the match ended the players bore aloft in triumph their mascot, a stuffed iguana.