PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad, Jan. 20 (CANA):
Trinidad and Tobago's Football Association has been banned from sending a team to this year's Pan American Games in Caracas, Venezuela, in August, according to Austin 'Jack' Warner, secretary of the Association, who said the appeal would be made against the decision.
According to Mr. Warner, the Olympic Association here had recommended that this country's soccer players not be allowed to compete at the Pan American Game's because the local football authorities withdrew their team from last year's Central American and Caribbean Games in Havana Cuba, at the last minute.
This late withdrawal came after a row between the Olympic body and the Football Association over the inclusion of defender Brian Williams in the squad after the team doctor said he was not medically fit.
The Olympic body slapped a ban on Williams but the Association said that if Williams was not permitted to make the tour the entire team would be withdrawn.
Only seven countries will qualify for the finals in Caracas, along with the host country.
According to the Pan American Games draw released by Warner, Trinidad and Tobago had received a very favourable draw, getting a first round bye in the Caribbean area, and will have to play either Cuba or the Dominican Republic in the next round, with the winners here travelling to Caracas for the Pan Am Games.